Contact Us

How to Choose a Builder

We know that it can be a little confusing with all the different quality and trade standards in NZ to know exactly how your builder is qualified and what skills they have. Here we break it down in a simple guide for you, so you know that you are hiring the best quality builder who will make your renovation experience easy, make alterations to your home properly and get you a the best results for your budget. 

Industry Standards

There are 3 main Industry Standards to look for when choosing a building company to work with. 
1. Certified Builders
2. Master Builders
3. Licensed Building Practitioners
So what do each of these mean? 

A Certified Builder 

To start with all Certified Builders begin their careers by obtaining a professional trade qualification, learning the right way, the first time from a trade qualified craftsman. Unless the builder is trade qualified they cannot become a member of the Certified Builders Association.
All Certified Builders have been scrutinized and approved for their abilities to deliver excellent workmanship.
Choosing a Certified Builder provides you with the assurance that a trade qualified builder is working on your renovation project, who adheres to strict guidelines for standards of workmanship and business practice.

A Master Builder 

The Registered Master Builders brand is a recognised hallmark of quality.  If you're building or renovating, you can be sure that you're dealing with qualified and experienced builders who take pride the quality of their workmanship.
To be a Registered Master Builder, building experience, trade or professional qualifications and practical management experience are assessed. Workmanship is inspected and previous clients contacted, to ensure the applicant’s work is of a high standard and has satisfied clients’ expectations. In addition applicants must provide evidence of financial responsibility.
Only a Registered Master Builder can offer you the peace of mind of a 10-year Master Build Guarantee on residential work.

A Licensed Building Practitioner 

LBPs are designers, carpenters, brick and blocklayers, roofers, external plasterers, site and foundations specialists who have been assessed to be competent to carry out work essential to a residential building's structure or weathertightness.
If you’re thinking of getting building or renovation work done on your house or apartment, you need to check if it’s ‘restricted building work’ (RBW). If it is, you’ll need a licensed building practitioner – or LBP – to do it.
Restricted building work involves the building’s structure, weathertightness, and design of fire safety systems.
Because this work is so important, it’s only allowed to be done by licensed building practitioners (LBPs). LBPs are assessed before getting licensed, and have to maintain their skills to keep their licence.

Your Smith & Sons Builder

All Smith & Sons offices are qualified by one or more of these industry standards. Your Smith & Sons construction Project Manager will either also be qualified as an LBP or will contract the construction work to an LBP to be signed off for compliance. You can rest assured that your Smith & Sons Project Manager knows the industry standards and guidelines and adheres to the strictest safety and compliance procedures. 

Ready to start your renovation?